Sunday 19 September 2021

DEE WARNING SPEAKS ABOUT HIS BUDDING MUSIC CAREER

He uses music as an instrument to teach Bamburi society about issues of relationships and life in general.

Dee Warning which is his stage name is a name that has risen to become a major force in Mombasa's underground mainstream music. In an exclusive interview with Luizquincy, the rapper and singer revealed that music for him started upon his fathers sudden death.

"When my late father passed away, that is when music made the call for me. I humbly started from scratch singing and recording my own music after my fathers demise," spoke Dee Warning as he leaned forward on a wooden dining chair.

As per Thomas Mann, a man lives not only his personal life as an individual but also consciously or unconsciously, the life of his epoch and his contemporaries. To this end Dee Warning got ideas from grand musicians and those doing well in the sector to put up his works as he revealed.

"I have hustled in doing odd jobs but put a strict eye on musicians doing well. Some works I have hustled in include mixing balast, construction works and laying foundation for pre construction in building sites," said a confident Dee Warning.

On matters role models, the mucisian aspires to get to the levels of creatives Otile Brown, Masauti among other big names that are seriously running the Kenyan music industry wild and pushing Swahili music to East Africa and even beyond.

" In my own space, I get inspired by Otile Brown, Masauti, Kaligraph Jones and King Kaka. Most of the works I do are Swahili music which range from inspirational songs, songs that teach the community and a little bit of poetic spoken - word raps which King Kaka is best known for," explained Dee Warning.p

Dee Warning in the interview reiterated that he has been doing music as a hobby and as a commercial occupation. The zeal to do music caught up with him when he was in standard five in Kenya's 8-4-4 system and he has since been writing and composing his own music.

"I have been doing music since I was in primary, in class five. I have written and composed a lot of songs from then up to 2022 and the talent still goes on," said Dee Warning.


His recorded music 'Sanela' is probably the most played by fans around Bamburi and Mombasa county, he explains that the song is about a girlfriend who dated him and left because of reasons best known to her.

"Sanela speaks about my ex lover. We dated and the lady later on left because of personal reasons maybe or for reasons which were not clear to me, leaving me at crossroads," said Dee Warning.



Dee warning aspires to be at the same level as King Kaka and Otile Brown in five years time but explains that financial issues still pull him aback since music is an investment and needs money from audio recording, video pre - production to post - production. He calls for support from donors and sponsors. The talent he boasts is extremely extraordinary gauging from his young age and financial boost is exactly what he needs since he is still a budding artiste.

"I feel that me being interviewed and having my story run on luizquincy.blogspot.com is a major move and at least which is going to expose my talent out there so that people can be familiar with my stage name. Also it will help me with visibility of my name as an underground brand in Mombasa's music," affirmed Dee Warning.

He gave a good parting shot to rappers still underground that they should stick together and work to push local music forward.

"Let us be united together and it is also important that we as rappers stay strong. Challenges are everywhere and I know the industry might be frustrating at times but let us rock on," said Dee Warning with a broad smile on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment