Saturday 25 September 2021

MUSIC, KAKA DAVE TARGETS FANS ACROSS EAST AFRICA

Kaka Dave is a veteran musician based in Mbagathi, Nairobi. Having roots from Mombasa, the only son in his family explained to luizquincy where his stage name Kaka Dave emanated from and how it came to be a refrain name among his fan base.






"Well I am the only son in my family so my sisters used to call me Kaka which is a brother in English. And my official ID card name is Davies John. The name Davies gave birth to Dave and so I had to combine Kaka and Dave as one name Kaka Dave," explained Kaka Dave, all smiles.

Kaka Dave suggests that a lot of underground artists including P the Gangster, Pizzo Mapessa among others have influenced his music journey. He has also been influenced globally by individuals that have been in the limelight and Ric Hassani is the name that made the cut for him and he still follows in his footsteps.

"My musical journey has been inspired by a lot of musicians to start with locally my home village had a lot of upcoming singers, the likes of P the Gangster, Pizzo Mapessa, Kizzo Malavidavi; this people ignited the fire in becoming who I am right now. Internationally, Ric Hassani is definitely the guy ave been watching and admiring for a very long time. Honestly I see him among the best musicians the world has ever produced. Kenyan musicians like Otile Brown Masauti are also part of my musical foundatio. They contributed a lot," said Kaka Dave.

The soaring musician explains that Mombasa music industry is weaker in terms of marketing when compared to Nairobi. This he explains is as a result of many media hubs located within Nairobi. In Mombasa, the few media stations and outlets only leave marketing of music for whatsaap which in his own opinion does not propel music to higher heights.


"The marketing strategy in Mombasa is weak this is all because of the less media houses in Mombasa. Upcoming artist are focusing on pushing music only on WhatsApp. Mind you if WhatsApp application is to be removed from the play store today, many upcoming artist will loose their music focus. In Nairobi the social media platforms are seen as one of the way to push music among the many way of marketing music. Artists in Mombasa get to be satisfied with the few you tube views unlike here where it's never enough untill people get to notice me. The five times four times airplays from local radios seem to be everything to Mombasa musicians. 'Mtu akifanya audio ywaona ashafika'. See, my Point is push your music until Grammy recognise you," said a concerned Kaka Dave.

When speaking about his own music, he thinks that all tracks have done well but points out that Love Land has been outstanding. He mainly does RnB music with a combination of English and Swahili language and this makes audiences closer from home relate enough with his music.

"I think all my songs have done well. But Love Land has outdone all the songs. STAY also is still doing good the views grow everyday. People should go and check them out am sure 'watazipenda'," said Kaka Dave as he chuckles.

Love Land speaks of a relationship and tries to envisage an imagination of a place where two lovers can enjoy and express their love for one another without fear or without having to get worried about words on the streets.

"Love land is a love song that talks about finding the right person and creating an imaginary place where the two of you are gonna be yourselves and happy together," said Kaka Dave.

Kaka now sees lesser more challenging bits in his music. He is at a place where he produces music for himself and his own friends assist him in video shoots which makes him save a lot on pre production and post production costs.


"I can say challenges are now less and not like they used to be. I produce songs for my self and it's my friends who are shooting my videos. I think challenges come in marketing and pushing songs and videos. Personally I see it tricky in convincing people to love your sound 'na wakukubali kama msanii unique wa kivyako'," said Kaka Dave.

Being among the few artists around Majaoni who owns a home studio, Kaka Dave sees himself as a boss. He named the studio PMJ from the Swahili word 'pamoja' meaning together and a word which symbolises unity. He aims at pushing Shanzu music forward until talents from within are recognised starting with his own.
"Having my own studio that makes me a boss. I have a home studio which I named PMJ STUDIOS from the word 'pamoja' the motto being 'pamoja tutashinda' I believe unity will make our songs go far and people will recognise Shanzu as the home of talent. This of course doesn't mean if their is a label with better offers 'nitakataa kuwa' signed, no. Am open to any deals that will be of benefit to me and my team," said a coherent Kaka Dave.

Kaka Dave who manages his own music says that his family supports him a lot. His mother and sisters who pump a lot of effort to his music would be interested and so happy should they see their boy perform in even bigger stages.

"I'm the only son of Mama Umi born Davies John Kahindi. A family of 5 people. My love life is not that interesting so that's for another interview. My mom and sisters have been supporting my music from day one so I am grateful to have them and it's my prayer they get to see me performing in some of the biggest stages in the world," said a confident Kaka Dave in between smiles.

He explained that five years were many to offer. He sees himself propelling his career to another level in the remaining quarter of the year.

" I believe si mimi Peke yangu but hata wewe Quincy, this blog site and my music 'sote tutakuwa mbali'. I believe I am a talented and one of the best artist this country will ever provide. In like five years I want East Africa to be knowing who this new kid is and am sure by God's grace and Blessings plus the support of my fans it will be achieved. No human is limited," said an open minded Kaka Dave.

Kaka is planning on dropping an album early next year. In the album, he plans for 8 tracks plus two bonus tracks which he is sure will meet well the ears and eyes of his fans on matters the audios and videos.

"An album yes probably early next year am planning on dropping an album of 8 songs plus two bonus tracks. Songs are ready and other projects ongoing. I've named this first album as 'THE VOS - The Voice Of Shanzu. I want the world to know all about my home place. Different genre and different artists all over Kenya will be featured therein. Of course 'siku ya launching ikifika lazima nikushtue presenter Quincy," he said to me as he pushed back on his chair inside his studio. "It's gona be a mad Album," he finished off.

3 comments:

  1. You guys are doing mazeee big up Quincy na kaka Dave♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you Kaka Dave. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaka dave, you're an amazing artist with a unique talent, Big up bro seeing u performing in great stages is one of my greatest wish,big up quincy, all the best man(ur boy quan)

    ReplyDelete