Saturday 1 October 2022

10 GUNSHOTS

It rarely rains from where I come from and neither does this mean people will stop working because of forces of nature. 
Notwithstanding, I understand that most persons associate the causes of mother nature and conclude such to be punishment from the Almighty Deity. Think of it as physics; cause and effect.
It is a bright and amazing Saturday morning; and as I garb my all black attire, coupled with white airforce sneakers at the bottom. I quickly board my mustard Mazda Demio.
My son Lerma comes running towards me from his room, probably thinking he might get left behind. He is jovial and at that moment, I couldn't help but smile, I was really stoned by the fact that my closest people were immensely happy.
Lerma has just started a new routine after we transferred him  from a public school to a private one. He is in 5th grade.
On our way to Cadillac Academy, my son cannot help but stare convincingly through the window, bubbling with ecstacy at everything he sees. "Perhaps he thinks everything outside seems magic," I say to myself in disquiet but keep on driving.

Carefully we reach Lerma's destination and I push open the backdoor for him to alight. "Love you daddy," he said walking towards his new school. I simply wave and drive off to job.
For 15 years; I have been  working as human rights activist for the most vulnerable and overlooked in the society inclusive of children, youths, PWIDs and women.
I never found a reason to quit the job because public interest drove me ahead even when the job proved difficult at times.

As I approach my office station, I see smoke coming off second floor, and this planted inside me an immediate shock.
Before I could even alight, my wife Matilda calls. "Hello darling; everything okay, she speaks and I could feel she was tensed. Maybe even more than I was.

All that whirled in my mind was my wife and Lerma. So I swiftly change course and head straight home. On arrival, I find Mati lying on the floor; in an ocean of her own blood. Around ten gunshot wounds had penetrated her chest and head area.
My instincts quickly shifted to my son. Something said I should go to Cadillac Academy whereas another voice asked me to remain there in sorrow crying, bereaving my departed partner.

Sooner or later, police forces arrive less than 5 minutes from when I got home.

I was trying much to unsee what I was seeing but couldn't as my eyes were stung with tears.
I remain in the crime scene, adamant that I was soon wearing  handcuffs despite my descent strut.

After almost 9 hours of interrogation and cross examination of the case, my son Lerma comes inside through the rare door. I was relieved but knew my son would lead a miserable life, just for something I didn't even do.
"You have a right to remain silent. Anything you say shall be used against you in court of law." Said one of the five detectives. 

I kiss Lerma and was allowed to call my mom who then promised to take care of Lerma.

No comments:

Post a Comment